American Lifeguard Association

Swimming and its benefits

The breaststroke, the crawl... Not easy for everyone, especially if the fear of water could have blocked learning without Lifeguard Recertification

SUMMARY

  •  "I'm learning to swim, it's decided!"
  • Notre Temps: Where does this fear of water come from?
  • What was your trigger?
  • How was the first lesson?
  • Do you feel like you're making progress?
  • You must be proud...
  • Are you finally enjoying it?
  • How about getting started?



Lionel is waiting for us with a big smile, at the entrance to the swimming pool at the University of Anteater, in the Huts-DE-Seine, ready to dive into the deep end… or almost. He is full of energy, happy to find the other members of the group who have come, like him, to take their fourth swimming lesson. A lesson like no other, specially designed by the Archimedes association for adults who are afraid of water. To each his own story with this hostile element that must be tamed to finally take pleasure in swimming.

After an unfortunate experience in childhood, Lionel explains to us that he was angry with water for a long time. This former executive at the SNCF did not have the time or the desire to get started earlier to overcome his apprehension, but the time has come to turn a page.

6:30 p.m.: he leaves to put on his swimsuit and we find him at the edge of the pool, always with a smile. He jumps! The session begins, on the small bath side, with warm-up and confidence-building exercises, head underwater, before launching a little further for one or two lengths, passing on the back, the stomach... That works!

• Our Time: Where does this fear of water come from?

Like most children my age, I started taking swimming lessons around the age of 6 or 7, without prior fear. But the lifeguard threw me into the big pool without a buoy, just handing me his pole so I could hold on. I totally panicked and sank. I was rescued in time, but there was never any question of learning to swim afterwards because I was scared to death. It is not a phobia of water and I enjoy splashing around in my bath, or in the sea doing a few breaststrokes where I have my feet. But until today, it was impossible for me to manage as soon as I no longer felt solid ground under my feet.

• What was your trigger?

LA: Last year, I accompanied my two 4-year-old grandchildren, who could not yet swim and were getting by with their armbands. They weren't afraid of anything! There, I said to myself that if there was the slightest problem, I would be unable to save them, I would sink with them. I still get shivers thinking about it… So I decided to start learning again from the very beginning. This is how I discovered the Archimedes association. I could have had the same trigger with my own children when they were little, but I was then less available, very busy with my work, and perhaps less aware of the danger. I have been retired for a few months and I can finally breathe without the stress of work. It certainly helped me get started in a much more relaxed way.

• How was the first lesson?

LA: I started with a trial lesson, late last spring. I found myself the only man in the group, but that didn't stop me. None of us were leading the way and an extraordinary solidarity was woven right away. We understood each other and no one was judging each other. The experience was not easy, but everything went well. 

• Do you feel like you are progressing?

LA: Yes! But I'm taking it easy. We learn the techniques of breaststroke, to breathe calmly to control stress, to lie on your back in case of difficulty to rest and start again better. The lifeguard is always with us in the water to secure us if necessary. I still panicked twice. Our instructor came immediately and asked me to put my head under water and breathe slowly. I did it three or four times in a row, which allowed me to overcome my fear and I was able to start again.

• You must be proud…

 I feel like I'm gradually defeating an old demon. It's not really a physical challenge, even if the body is very busy. It's all in the head. It often happens that I think back to the lesson between two sessions to remind myself of the advice, what to do in such and such a situation, and I am sure that this contributes to progress. And no nightmare, it's a good sign!

• Are you finally enjoying it?

LA: Uh… especially in the short pool. It's going to take me a while to feel really good when I'm not on my feet, to the point of having fun. The pleasure is also to find the group every week. This experience, so strong in emotions, brought us a lot closer and we exchange, for example, outside of class. Learn to swim, you will surely make friends!



• What if you started?

Lionel's adventure shows that it is possible to overcome the fear of water and learn to swim for good, even late. If the Archimedes association is mainly active in Paris ( Archimedes ), courses for adult beginners exist in many cities. Check with your town hall or online. Make sure the courses are appropriate for your situation.

Sometimes, in fact, it is necessary to go through psychological support, such as cognitive-behavioral therapy, to work on a real phobia. Also take stock of your physical condition with your doctor, as a medical certificate will be required upon registration.

Post a Comment

5 Comments

  1. There are numerous dissertation websites on-line because you additionally obtain obviously stated inside your web site. Lifeguard Recertification

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are particular dissertation websites on the internet should you acquire certainly introduced in your web page. https://americanlifeguardvienna.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks a lot for sharing this excellent info! I am looking forward to seeing more posts by you as soon as possible! I have judged that you do not compromise on quality. lifeguard training

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your insight for your fantastic posting. I’m exhilarated I have taken the time to see this. It is not enough; I will visit your site every day. lifeguard training

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks a lot for sharing this excellent info! I am looking forward to seeing more posts by you as soon as possible! I have judged that you do not compromise on quality. lifeguard training

    ReplyDelete

Close Menu